Tuesday 11 June 2013

The Long Distance Relationship

Hey everyone! Meet Thiago!

Thiago is my boyfriend and we have been together every since July, 2012, which is close to one year now.

We are doing the long distance relationship since I have moved back to Malaysia from Brazil to grow my business.

We have been together for not very long (I don't consider one year long), but we have been through a lot. He was my pillar of strenght when I was all alone, away from family and close friends, after my father passed away in August 2012. He was always there for me, and everything that I needed him to be during those difficult times and something that I will never forget and will always be greatful for.

After I decided that I wanted to move back to Malaysia, Thiago and I had a loooooooooong chat. We want to be together, and I want to be based in Malaysia. So, he has decided to move to Malaysia to be with me by end 2014.

If this isn't love, I don't know what is :)

He has some commitments back in São Paulo, thus he cannot come over to Malaysia any sooner, so we have no choice but to do the dreaded Long Distance Relationship for some time.

I've done the Long Distance Relationship (LDR) twice before. Once when I was 18, when I went to Seattle to further my studies in Seattle University. I tried to do the LDR with my boyfriend who was back in Malaysia. And then my second LDR was with my american boyfriend, after I graduated from Seattle University in and moved back to KL.

I think the reason why those didn't work out was because we didn't have any future plans, but were doing the 'let's wait and see what happens' kinda thing. Ultimately, there was no commitment, and there were lots of distractions, so both LDRs ended within a year.

With Thiago, we planned to do the civil wedding in Brazil in June 2014. And then the kenduri in Malaysia when he relocates over in end 2014/ early 2015.

And the most important factor of all? I love him to bits and I want him by my side for the rest of my life.

I think that the distance is making me appreciate him even more. I think about him every day. I got invited to a couple of parties recently and one of the first few thoughts that entered my mind was - Thiago would love this! If only he were here :(

Last week, we didn't speak to each other for a span of 4 days due to his and my busy schedule, and also the friggin 11 hour difference between São Paulo and Kuala Lumpur. I missed him so much that it made me feel sad.

The strange thing is that I have lived all over the world and made so many new friends and at the same time, had to say goodbye to so many amazing people when it was time to leave. I've never felt this sense of longing for someone ever! I feel incomplete; it's almost as if I left a part of me in São Paulo with him.

We finally chatted over Skype on Sunday evening and I felt so much better. It was so good to see his face, hear his voice and (pretend) to laugh at his bad jokes :D

I'm taking this as a good sign. That I love him so much and can't wait to have him by my side again. We will have to do the LDR for about a year, but I have no doubt that our relationship will last the distance and our time apart.

When he is by my side again, that part of me that is missing would have returned to it's rightful place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment